AZ Court Help and Arizona courthouse accessibility information           Increase Font Size

A- A A+

FAQ - Separation

Arizona Civil Legal Needs Community Survey

Civil legal organizations in Arizona are seeking your input to increase their ability to meet the civil legal needs of Arizona's lower income residents. Please complete this survey to assist in improving civil legal services in Arizona.

Encuesta de Necesidades Legales Civiles de Arizona

Las organizaciones legales civiles en Arizona buscan su opinión para aumentar su capacidad de satisfacer las necesidades legales civiles de los residentes de bajos ingresos de Arizona. Por favor complete esta encuesta para ayudar a mejorar los servicios legales civiles en Arizona.

How can I get a default decree signed by the court?

If a response to your separation petition is not filed, you may be able to get separated by default. You may file paperwork to ask for a default legal separation if the other person has not filed a written response after 60 days of being served the separation petition. On day 61, you may complete the application and affidavit of default, then file those documents with the court. You must be sure service of the petition was complete, and that the other person did not file a written response or answer with the court.

At the time you file the petition and affidavit of default with the court, make sure you have 2 copies of the application and affidavit of default date-stamped by the clerk. You must mail or hand-deliver one copy to the other person (and their attorney, if they have one) the day that you filed the application and affidavit of default with the court. After you have given the other person a copy of the application and affidavit of default you must wait 10 business days.

If the other person still does not file a written response or answer in 10 business days, you may be able request a default hearing date. If granted the court will review your paperwork and schedule a hearing date. At the hearing you will be asked about your situation and items on the petition. The judge decides to grant or reject your separation decree.


Arizona State Legal Separation Forms

Arizona Fee Waiver and Deferral Forms

Find My Court - Arizona Superior Court Locations

Arizona divorce or legal separation flowchart